United Kingdom Country Guide

country guide

United Kingdom Country Guide

Used Household Goods and Personal Effects

Documents Required

Legible copy of passport

Detailed inventory in English, dated, and signed by the owner of the goods

Transfer of Residence (ToR)

Copy of bill of lading (BL) / air waybill (AWB)

C426 with cover letter from respective embassy (diplomat)

Specific Information

As of 1/1/17, owners of the goods must go online to apply for a Transfer of Residence (ToR).

  • An approval will allow the owner of the goods to import their personal & household effects goods into the UK with relief from import duties and charges.
  • Application must be made before packing shipment.
  • Once approval is obtained, the owner of the goods will be given a Unique Reference Number (URN) which will need to be passed onto UK Customs in place of the previous customs form C3.
  • The C3 form will become obsolete on 3/31/2017 and will not be acceptable for Customs clearance after this date.
  • The link to the ToR application can be found at the end of this document in ‘Consignment Instructions.’
  • Contact destination agent for further questions

Documents must be received by agent prior to arrival of the shipment.

The agent may charge fees for incomplete or delayed receipt of documentation

Documents Required

  • Form C104A
  • Original bill of lading / air way bill
  • Declaration form C384 (if less than 6 months old)
  • Copy of registration documents proving ownership
  • Insurance policy documentation (copies from country of origin proving use)
  • Utility bills / bank statements that prove place of residence was outside the European Union and exceeded 12 months

Specific Information

Duty-free entry is permitted if the vehicle has been possessed and used for at least 6 months outside the European Union before it is imported and will not be sold or otherwise disposed of for 12 months after the date of importation.

Owners of the goods register their intention to import a vehicle in advance to starting the process of shipping with the DVLA.

Documents Required

  • Vaccination record
  • Veterinary health certificate
  • Form C5
  • Import license

Specific Information

Animals must comply with the Pets Travel Scheme (PETS)

Pets must be licensed by the Animal Health department

Pets are quarantined upon entry into the country

Animals must be fitted with a microchip (Scotland)

Dogs must receive a tapeworm treatment within 105 days of arrival (Scotland)

Pets that do not qualify to enter Scotland / United Kingdom under the Non-Commercial Movement of Pet Animals are required to obtain an import license prior to import.

Pets will be detained at the owner’s expense at an approved quarantine facility until compliant.

  • Call agent to verify that a facility is available in the country

Certain requirements must be met regarding the vaccination against rabies for specific countries.

  • Contact the destination agent for additional information.
  • Firearms, explosives, and ammunition
  • Fruit, vegetable, and plant products
  • Cigarettes (200), cigarillos (100), cigars (50), tobacco (250g)
  • Spirits / liqueurs (more than 22% – 1 liter)
  • Fortified wine or alcohol less than 22% (2 liters), still wine (4 liters), beer (16 L)
  • Imitation firearms
  • Offensive weapons
  • Live animals
  • Endangered animals or plants and products thereof (required a valid CITES permit)
  • Fur skins and articles made from fur skin
  • Radio transmitters
  • Rough diamonds
  • Animal food products
  • Illicit drugs
  • Knives
  • Self-defense sprays
  • Stun guns
  • Indecent and obscene material
  • Counterfeit, pirated and patent-infringing goods
  • Milk products from outside the European Union (England, Scotland)